What's Your Page Look Like on Every Device?

Over the holidays, I saw my website on an iPad.

It was a mess.

Text overlapped images and everything squished together, even when holding the tablet in 'landscape' orientation.  So I decided I needed to fix my web page (because I heard these iPad things are getting popular).

But how?  Therein lies the rub.  I did some Googling and found several websites that simulate (for free) what your (or any) web page will look like on a variety of computers, tablets, and smart phones.  I particularly liked this one:  http://quirktools.com/screenfly/

Using Screenfly, you can preview your web page on different computer monitor sizes, net books, the iPad, Galaxy, Zoom and other tablets, 8 different smart phones, and 3 TV resolutions.  It even lets you rotate the page and simulate scrolling.

You won't easily get your page to look perfect on all of them, but you can get a good idea which platforms really massacre the look of your page.  Needless to say, I did some reorganizing and re-sizing of my webpage and this very blog.  If you're reading this on a mobile device right now, let me know what you think (post a comment below or drop me an e-mail).

Just to be clear, this is not a shameless plug for Screenfly.  It's just a cool website I stumbled across and found useful and easy to use.  I'd never heard of it before yesterday.

I added some more photos to my Pinterest collection.  If you happen to have read Crimson & Cream, check out my Pinterest boards and see if your imagination matches mine.


Comments

  1. C.M.,

    Thanks for the introduction to Screenfly! I hadn't even thought about what my site would look like on iPad. But given the prevalence of iPads, it is definitely something that needs to be looked into.

    As for Pinterest, I've never ventured there. Do you find it to be a useful tool for blogging/writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Regarding Pinterest, I haven't received much feedback regarding my use of it. I do it more for fun, trying to find pictures that I imagine look like something from my book. But there are definitely many different ways to use Pinterest.

    Thanks for dropping by. -Craig

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment