The Best of My 2017 Reading List

Happy 2018! I hope you enjoyed the festive season and I wish you all the very best for the new year. After the holidays and the associated travel and events, I feel like I'm emerging from writing hibernation. Time to shake off the old year and dig in for 2018.

This year, I'll begin a new, stand-alone, fantasy novel, set in a different world from the Oxbow Kingdom, with new characters and adventures. I've started world-building, outlining, and plotting, and plan to begin writing in earnest soon. I'll provide more details and teasers in future posts, but for now, know that I'm still plugging away with my writing.

I'll also be honing my marketing skills while trying to sell more copies (and garner more reviews) of The Oxbow Kingdom Trilogy. December was a watermark month for me sales-wise, and I'll prepare a future post with more tips and lessons learned from advertising on Amazon. Also in the upcoming year, I'll be adjusting my strategies and experimenting with new advertising services, and I'll share my successes and missteps with you right here.

As a wrap-up, I'll close with my year in reading.  My Goodreads Summary reports that in 2017, I read 39 books, not including several drafts of my own novel, Warlock & Wyrm.


If you're curious as to what my reading tastes are, below is a summary of the best of what I read last year. I would have done a top-five list, but honestly, these four books stood out among the rest. My personal favorite 5-Star-rated fiction for 2017:

  Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy #3) by Robin Hobb, published 2017 - Epic Fantasy

  Wool (Omnibus Edition, Silo #1) by Hugh Howey, published 2012 - Science Fiction

  The Way of Shadows (Night Angel #1) by Brent Weeks, published 2008 - Fantasy

  Legends II (Short Stories) by Robert Silverberg (Editor/Contributor), published 2003 - Fantasy





Comments