A Progress Update

I'm quite horrible at providing updates on my work-in-progress via social media. People don't care whether I've written 1,000 words or revised a chapter or had grilled cheese for brunch. And tweeting about it (or posting a photo of my dairy-centric sandwich on Facebook) feels like a waste of time for all involved. However, a few precious souls are interested in when the third book of the Oxbow Kingdom Trilogy will be released, and to those wonderful folks, I thank you wholeheartedly. This post is for you.

If you follow my little author updates at the bottom of my blog posts, I try to provide brief progress reports. And if you look back at those snippets, you'll find my projections are consistently overly-optimistic. I've always been an impatient person, and have worked on overcoming that (among countless other shortcomings) my whole life, with scant progress. Combine my recalcitrant impatience with the fact that I'm a predominantly lazy person, who enjoys random, unpredictable bursts of frenetic productivity, and you'll see a pattern of inaccurate forecasting emerging.

I've found that painting myself into a corner with deadlines sometimes spurs those elusive productivity bursts. Therefore, I'm setting a target to have the final revision of Warlock & Wyrm, Book III of The Oxbow Kingdom Trilogy, completed and out of my hands by the end of March (2017). I'll send that well-polished version back to my editor, and hopefully, shortly after that, out to my beta readers (if you happen to be interested in beta reading, please let me know--the more the merrier). After my editor's last look, there will be an inevitable round of revisions, but I'm confident the story is in a good place and I can handle the changes in a timely manner.

I want to have Warlock & Wyrm in my beta reader's hands by the end of April. And if I've given you the impression that I've been twiddling my thumbs on this revision (i.e., draft number six), that's not the case. In addition to fixing a plethora of issues my editor pointed out, I've also added over 20,000 words to the novel. It seems my aforementioned impatience/laziness combo conspired to produce a story with a very rushed and threadbare ending. So I'm fixing that, and the book will be much better for it. But it will also take more time. I promise it will be worth the wait.

I'm also running my Amazon ad and a Kindle Countdown Deal next week, March 7 through March 9. You can pick up a copy of Mirrors & Mist for $0.99 and get a free copy of Crimson & Cream on Smashwords with this code: WA98P. And if you've read this far, and are impatient like me, and want a free copy of Mirrors & Mist as well, I'll gift the first five responders a free e-book on Amazon.


Comments